Ed Balloon, The Dubs, Album Review


Ed Balloon
The Dubs
Album Review



This album came along to me, completely out of the blue. Much like many other albums that have been recommended me only through spotify such as Nightmares On Wax's Shape the Future or Jafaris' Stride. This album is my newest musical discovery, provided by the music streaming platform.

The first thing about this album to get my attention and ultimately get me to listen to the thing full-length was the production, that seemed somewhat whimsical, luminous and surreal at first listen.

When listening to it in full, said production remained as whimsical as it initially came across. I was getting a strong similarity to Travis Scott's ASTROWORLD musically.

Vocally, Ed Balloon has a very unique vocal style, which did take a short while to get used to, but I have learned to love it recently. The best way to describe the vocal style is somewhere between Kele Okereke and Bakar.

This album also provides quite a bit of versatility in its tracks. With some being sassy bops while others are far more atmospheric and ambient. But overall, the album does indeed feel very suitable for the summer, thanks to its vibrant, colourful and warm musicality.

As far as tracks go, I am gravitating towards both "Missed Call" and "Toughie" as contenders for the top spot as my favourite track. However, I also enjoyed listening to "Edges", "Hero", "Dreamworld", "Lost Boys", "Du Rags In The Air" and "M'aider (Mayday)".

I feel like the review of this album is indeed quite brief, and that's because I feel like this album definitely needs more time to completely grow on me. It is an incredibly enjoyable and immersive album to listen to, but it is far from the first.

This is one of those rare cases where I feel like I need to experience more while listening to The Dubs before having a truer verdict on the matter. Furthermore, if I can create many great memories with this album to accompany me, It could rise to become one of my favourites of 2019.


Thank you for reading,

Booth Boy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Danny Brown, uknowhatimsayin?, Album Review

TOOL, Fear Inoculum, Album Review

Xiu Xiu, Girl with Basket of Fruit, Album Review