Men I Trust, Oncle Jazz, Mini Review


Men I Trust
Oncle Jazz
Mini Review



My memory is a little fuzzy in terms of how I discovered this album exactly, but I am very glad I did. Oncle Jazz is the fourth studio album by the immersive indie group, Men I Trust, and the first full record since current frontwoman Emma Proulx held the reigns.

I had heard that this band was a lovely, chill little record, and I couldn't agree more. I really enjoy the ambient sound, which still feels lo-fi and a little D.I.Y despite being the fourth instalment. There's a genuine element to the music, that makes it incredibly easy to get into, or very useful for playing as background music. 

Furthermore, the sound across the album is generally very glossy, cosmic, and not too in-your face. It simply soothes the listener with its gentle and indulgent noise.

I might say that the likes of the music on this album are possibly quite similar to the upcoming Welsh indie group Serol Serol, but there are also some elements of Kero Kero Bonito, and maybe even Alvvays.

Despite being quite an extensive record, with a tracklist of 24 songs and a duration of well over an hour, very few of the songs feel really ruched. I could sense that a lot of time and care was tucked into this album tightly.

And this care translates lovingly into a very sweet, and incredibly relaxing experience of a record. I will definitely try to keep my eyes open for any new sounds the band may bring with Emma leading the way.

Favourite Track: Tailwind

Thank you for reading,

Booth Boy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Danny Brown, uknowhatimsayin?, Album Review

TOOL, Fear Inoculum, Album Review

Lil Nas X, 7 EP, EP Review