Rex Orange County, Pony, Mini Review


Rex Orange County
Pony
Mini Review



After having listened to little tidbits of Rex Orange County's music, including his feature on "Boredom", one of my favourite songs off of Tyler, the Creator's 2017 album Flower Boy and the much more recent single "10/10", I definitely felt that this artist had earned my late interest in reviewing his newest album, Pony.

I think what interested me initially about the previously mentioned "10/10", a teaser track for Pony was that on the surface, it musically sounded quite nostalgic to me. But fortunately, finally listening to the album fully allowed me to recognise the song on a more contextual level. I would say that this album seems to have a very self-reflective theme of the artist coming to terms with doing what he does long-term, toying with the idea of "quitting while he's ahead", and fighting to stay connected with the rest of the world.

In terms of aesthetic, Rex Orange County does remind me slightly of BROCKHAMPTON, and as a result, the sound feels like a very current one. Where he differentiates himself from that boyband, however, is with an incredibly uplifting and beautifully sweet sound, which I feel is mostly thanks to the very diverse use of instrumentation. There is an abundant amount of strings, wind instruments, acoustic sounds like piano and guitar, and electronic elements (which are mostly used for the foundational beats for most tracks.

I just really love how dreamy and grand most of the album is, and I feel that this is mixed really well with Rex orange County's own quirky charm, coming together to make something truly unique, and very special.

Favourite Track: It Gets Better

Thank you for reading,

Booth Boy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Danny Brown, uknowhatimsayin?, Album Review

TOOL, Fear Inoculum, Album Review

Lil Nas X, 7 EP, EP Review