Billie Eilish, WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO? Mini Review


Billie Eilish
WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO?
Mini Review



This album has to quite possibly be one of the most popular picks for a great 2019 album, and I feel that this contributed to both why I'm reviewing it now, and also why I didn't review it in the first place.

I did give this album a very quick listen upon its release, but did so in a rather dismissive manner thanks to my inner hipster, which I have been trying to tame ever since reviewing music in the first place.

But this is exactly why I enjoy the idea of dedicating a week to reviewing 2019 albums that I should've possibly done earlier. And i think the debit studio album from Billie Eilish is the perfect way to begin this, as I ended up finding it a lot better than I initially thought.

Simply listening to the several hits that scatter this album on a quiet radio don't exactly do it justice. Whereas now that I've gone ahead and given this album the time it deserves, I can appreciate it far better as an artistic effort.

Despite having a healthy mixture of bass-filled bangers, and gorgeously softer tracks, there is indeed a consistent aesthetic that ties each track together; there is a strongly spectral and ghoulish mood throughout this project, and it almost makes me feel that I'm listening to something made by a ghost.

I would say that the album did weaken for me towards the end, but I absolutely loved the way that the final song "goodbye", basically serves as a recap of the rest of the album that comes before it, and is an incredibly satisfying way to tell the listener that the album is nearing its end.

There are dozens of other creative choices on this albums composition, production, and sampling. I'm particularly fond of the sampling of audio clips from the US Office on "my strange addiction", which manages to make the dialogue from a sitcom kind of creppy. And I think that's the key word for this album; creepy, but beautifully so in many parts.

I am incredibly excited to see what Billie Eilish does next, and it is not hard to imagine that she has a very bright future ahead of her, especially after a debut effort such as this one.

Favourite track: "my strange addiction"

Thank you for reading,

Booth Boy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Danny Brown, uknowhatimsayin?, Album Review

TOOL, Fear Inoculum, Album Review

Xiu Xiu, Girl with Basket of Fruit, Album Review