Lana Del Rey, Norman F**king Rockwell!, Album Review


Lana Del Rey
norman F**king Rockwell!
Album Review



I would argue that Lana Del Ray is one of the most unique and influential pop artists of this generation, even getting my attention way back in a time where I loathed anything mainstream. 

This was thanks to her phenomenal 2012 album Born To Die, which took the world by storm with its melancholy intricacy and whimsical beauty, and elevated Lana to mainstream recognition.

Between that album and 2019 however, I found my high opinion of Lana slightly dwindling out. I never really paid the same level of attention to the artist... until now.

Norman F**king Rockwell was an album title that got my attention back in my days of working for a music magazine, in which we'd have a list of upcoming albums, with Lana Del Rey's latest piece being one of them.

That being said, I sort of skimmed over a couple of teaser tracks. I found "Mariners Apartment Complex" pretty ok, but when I really started re-awakening my interest towards Lana was with the quirky and very catchy "Doin' Time". I was a little late with this track, only discovering it roughly a month ago, but it confirmed to me that I was ready to give the full album a chance once it was out.

While Lana Del Ray is kind of notorious for her graceful and adult style of pop, I noticed that this album has quite possibly taken some influence from the beatiful sounds found on Weyes Blood's Titanic Rising, an album released earlier this year. NFR has a seemingly more theatrical nature to its sound in my opinion, and I believe that album is partially to thank.

But all influences aside, what I adore most about this album is that Lana's songwriting, musical storytelling and style have been completely honed to the finest detail. It seems that she has truly mastered the way she makes music.

despite the slow and moody dreariness across the album's majority being a little patience testing for me at points, a lot of the musical ballads on this thing are utterly enchanting.

The albums title track is what we are presented with at the very start, and it is a great way to get some of this albums context across straight away. As well as this, it's simply an amazingly atmospheric piece.

The other tracks on NFR that I found myself replaying include "F**k it I Love You", "Love Song" and "hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it".

However, my favourite track on this thing has to be "The greatest" which is genuinely Pink Floyd levels of theatric. I also feel like this track gets across best the purpose of this album, which is to address the current state of America, especially with the lyrics found in the songs outro.

This album truly is the best that Lana Del Ray has been since Born To Die, and it is also by far her most realised piece yet, while never failing to be truly unique.




Thank you for reading,

Booth Boy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Danny Brown, uknowhatimsayin?, Album Review

TOOL, Fear Inoculum, Album Review

Xiu Xiu, Girl with Basket of Fruit, Album Review