Kesagake, Anyone For Tea?, Album Review


Kesagake
Anyone For Tea?
Album Review



Kesagake are one of the several local bands that I have been lucky enough to be in touch with. Each and every one of their live shows that I've been able to see have been incredibly entertaining, and showcased a signature aesthetic to the band, which would later be channeled into their debut album, Anyone For Tea?

The band have spent a tonne of time and effort into this project, with Anyone For Tea? seemingly being a long time in the making. It was just over a year ago that I listened to the first teaser track of this thing, "My Country", and I was awestruck by how advanced Kesagake's sound already was.

Fast-forward to March of this year, and we were treated with another single release under the name of "A Victim Of Circumstance" which saw the band solidify their style even further.

And, now, we have an album that I have been anticipating for a long time thanks to how amazing the teaser tracks were. And I really do want to stress that I really didn't want to make this review too biased, and I wanted to judge the music on this album the same way I do for everything else, but guys.... this album is god-damn incredible!

To put the band into an accessible perspective, I would say that their music shares quite a few similarities with Korn, and various other nu-metal bands. However, Kesagake seemingly try to push a more fun and enjoyable side to their music (which is especially apparrent in their live shows), meaning that this album is both intense and highly enjoyable.

Very rarely, do you also get a debut album with so much artistic thinking and good composition, but it definitely shows on Anyone For Tea? that the group really have thought long and hard about how they wanted the album as a whole to sound.

Even the introductory track "Beneath Mount Onishika", seems to tease what's to come, with what sound like little snippets from other songs. The dramatic and epic nature of this intro also feels like something that one might use to begin a large live show.

After becoming so used to EP's from local bands, it is refreshing to have a 45 minute album to listen to. And I know it's still early days for this album, but I am struggling to notice a completely weak track across the album.

But for simplicity's sake, there are a few tracks that I think are the most prominent, which include the two previously mentioned teaser tracks, of course, as well as the hyper-energetic "My Submissive Starlet", the truly epic "Navigate The Dark", and especially "Anchorman the Third: I Immediately Regret This Decision" 

The vocal animation and musical intensity on that last track I mentioned would easily fit into the late 90's, when similar music was at its peak. I also loved how this song basically fooled me into thinking it was over, like 3 or 4 times. It truly is an incredibly entertaining and engaging song.

The whole album, however, is still a remarkable first effort from this amazing group, which I truly feel privileged to know personally. If you are a fan of heavy music, and haven't heard of Kesagake until now, be sure to listen to this album, as it honestly is as good as I am giving it credit for.

Kesagake have shown that they truly deserve to go far, with Anyone For Tea unbiasedly being one of my favourite heavy records of 2019.

Follow Kesagake on Facebook
Follow Kesagake on Twitter




Thank you for reading,

Booth Boy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Danny Brown, uknowhatimsayin?, Album Review

TOOL, Fear Inoculum, Album Review

Xiu Xiu, Girl with Basket of Fruit, Album Review