JPEGMAFIA, All My Heroes Are Cornballs, Album Review


JPEGMAFIA
All My Heroes Are Cornballs
Album Review


Listen on Apple Music

JPEGMAFIA has been a name which I have heard bouncing around for quite some time. With his early 2018 album Veteran being somewhat of a great success, it honestly feels like the Baltimore rap artist should've been somebody who I had listened to before very recently.

However, the reality of the matter is that I hadn't actually taken the time to listen to JPEGMAFIA in a truly analytical way until very recently, upon the release of one of this album's teaser tracks; "Beta Male Strategies", which won me over and served as my gateway track, thanks to its surreal, distorted and almost whimsical approach. I still feel that the all-out relentless distortion found on this track was something that Veteran felt ever-so-slightly lacking in. But thankfully, as I discovered upon my first full listen of this album, is that JPEGMAFIA's style has evolved further into something entirely unique.

And when I say "unique", I don't simply mean a little unique, I mean actually, really, REALLY quite unique. If you have been longing for an album which doubles as a completely wild experience, All My Heroes Are Cornballs is the album for you. The tracks on this thing are so dynamic and jumbled, that it's really quite hard to distinguish when each of them starts or finishes. However, this album feels like anything but an unorganised mess. In other words, it feels like this album was intended to simply confuse the listener into complete and total enjoyment.

Furthermore, this album simultaneously comes across both a disjointed album and one which blends each track incredibly well, to the point where the whole thing just feels like one massive hallucination to the ears, and quite frankly, it is a complete thrill to behold!

Each of the tracks satyrical titles, as well as some of the lyrical content, suggest a theme of social media, and the corruption and confusion that comes with it. This aesthetically matches the nature of the music perfectly, which almost feels like a bunch of corrupted music files.

Starting the album off is "Jesus Forgive Me, I Am A Thot", which also served as a teaser track. However, I found myself appreciating this song far more once it took place as part of the album, especially with the transition between this song and the next; "Kenan Vs. Kel".

This album then only continues to be a consistent masterpiece, and it isn't until the albums 11th track that things begun to slow down a little for me. Having said that, there is a small handful of tracks that didn't quite have the same level of intense psychedelia in my opinion, and ultimately came across as weaker tracks in my opinion. But honestly, theres literally only 4 tracks I slightly dislike out of an 18 track album. Even the interludes (labelled as beats) were highly entertaining.

It is genuinely difficult to tell you a favourite track on this album at this moment in time. And I feel that the main reason behind this, is just how well All My Heroes Are Cornballs works so well as a full album. In other words, I recommend that you'd listen to this album from start to finish, as I feel that this is best way to experience this new material from JPEGMAFIA.

All My Heroes Are Cornballs might just be the most mind-blowing rap album I've experienced since Danny Brown's Atrocity Exhibition. It is truly an experience that is not worth missing.




Thank you for reading,

Booth Boy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Danny Brown, uknowhatimsayin?, Album Review

TOOL, Fear Inoculum, Album Review

Xiu Xiu, Girl with Basket of Fruit, Album Review