Black Futures, Never Not Nothing, Album Review


Black Futures
Never Not Nothing
Album Review



Black Futures are a group that I haven't really given the benefit of the doubt until very recently, when this debut album of theirs released.

Initially having Black Futures recommended by a mate of mine, I decided to give a few of their teasing singles a listen. This album has obviously been quite a while in the making, as the tracks I was listening to are included on the full record, despite being released way back in 2017.

My initial thoughts on the music from Black Futures was that I did indeed like it, but not strongly enough to keep my interest. However, seen as Black Futures share a similar musical style with The Prodigy (whose frontman, Keith Flint, unfortunately passed away). I was left longing for that intense and oversaturated electronic punk; a perfect opportunity for Black Futures to re-introduce themselves to me with their album; Never Not Nothing.

Keep in mind that this album was released on a day where new music was swamping my cognition left, right, and centre. Therefore, I had no choice to rush through the album a little. However, as things began to calm down in the world of music, I found that there were enough tracks on this thing that stuck with me.

Despite clearly giving that "debut album" impression to me, it still felt like a very solid one of that. Besides, roughly two years in the making means that this album deserves to be good.

This album, in my opinion, is everything that it needs to be currently. Black Futures do a great job in terms of showing us as listeners what they're all about. And what this seems to be, is fun and energetic tunes with generous helpings of attitude.

I would still say that this album is at its weakest towards the end, with the last three tracks being ever-so-slightly uninteresting to me. However, there is quite the selection of tracks that for one reason or another, come across as very well made.

The earliest example of this was "Love", which I even enjoyed as a standalone teaser track all that time ago. But I would definitely argue that being on the full album does it a greater justice.

Other tracks that I love include the slow but triumphant sounding "Karma Ya Dig!?", "Me.TV" with Bobby Gillespie's awesome spoken word feature, "Body & Soul", which feels very true to The Prodigy's influence, and the sinister sounding "Riches".

My favourite track currently is probably the exhilarating and highly catchy "Tunnel Vision", having enough melodic and rhythmic shifts to keep it constantly interesting.

In short, Never Not Nothing is an incredibly good effort, as far as debut albums go. It shows a tonne of promise that while the group reaches greater heights, they truly have the potential to create some truly mind-blowing stuff.




Thank you for reading,

Booth Boy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Danny Brown, uknowhatimsayin?, Album Review

TOOL, Fear Inoculum, Album Review

Xiu Xiu, Girl with Basket of Fruit, Album Review