Amyl and The Sniffers, Self-titled, Album Review


Amyl and The Sniffers
Self-titled
Album Review



The first and fittingly self-titled full length album from Melbourne punk quartet Amyl and The Sniffers was released last Friday, and I'm really not sure how my hype towards it managed to build up so quick. But after listening to the album for the first time, this hype most definitely wasn't in vain.

From what I can remember, I think my excitement was instigated by this albums teaser track "Got You", which I discovered while it was being promoted on social media. I wasn't quite sure what to expect until I listened to the track in full, and only then did I completely understand what they were about.

In short, Amyl and the Sniffers are a band that longs for the past. With the modern day arguably being a lot more competitive, oversaturated and mentally challenging, it comes as a very relatable characteristic of the band in my opinion.

This longing for the past is reflected clearly in their music. Despite being a relatively fresh band in the prime of their youth, there are many musical elements on this album that reflect those of Ramones, Sex pistols and Green Day.

This album is plainly and simply as raw as any punk album you would find in the mid-70's. It's stays so true to the traditional side of punk music, that I would deem this album as a must for anybody longing for that level of rawness in a 2019 album.

Its gritty, its bassey, and its aggro as hell! With a smorgasbord of punk flavours, ranging from sonic speed hard-hitters to more melodic tunes that keep that gritty atmosphere.

This album keeps this aggressive energy going from start to finish, ending the album off with the brilliant "Some Mutts (Can't Be Muzzled)" which is currently battling it out with "Control" for the place as my favourite track.

Other tracks on this album I really enjoyed include "Gacked on Anger", "Cup of Destiny", "GFY", and "Angel". That being said, it's fair to say that the majority of this album is fantastic.

In short, this album should effortlessly take you back to when punk was in its prime, in what is a fantastic debut record from this band. I will be looking forward to seeing where Amyl and The Sniffers go from here.


Thank you for reading,

Booth Boy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Danny Brown, uknowhatimsayin?, Album Review

TOOL, Fear Inoculum, Album Review

Lil Nas X, 7 EP, EP Review