Weyes Blood, Titanic Rising, Album Review


Weyes Blood
Titanic Rising
Album Review



Titanic Rising is the newest full-length record from sub-pop artist Weyes Blood. I discovered this album not too long ago and it serves as my introduction to Weyes Blood.

My initial thoughts on the album was that it seemed maybe a bit too consistently mellow when I first skimmed over it. However, many of the tracks still had enough grace and uniqueness to entice me into giving the album a more thorough listen.

Conceptually and aesthetically, it is a fairly easy album to understand and definitely one that lands its meanings in the minds of its listeners effortlessly. Musically, it is very rich, incredibly powerful and doesn't fail to pull the heart strings. Thanks to this, I have a feeling that Titanic Rising and Weyes Blood's music in general hasn't necessarily been made for a specific type of audience. Instead, it simply comes across to me as beautiful, soul-tugging musical artistry.

While the majority of musical elements benefit this album greatly, the main two that really appealed to me were the gorgeous vocals and the echoing, plucky guitar strings that along with many other elements, gave Titanic Rising such a genuinely retro quality. In my min this album sounds as if it could've easily been released 30 years ago and would've fit in well with the other records out at the time. But today, it stands as a piece that only an artist like Weyes Blood could execute so well.

I can certainly notice that a lot of creative thought went into this album, with an example of this being all of the nods to songs on the album within other songs (for instance, the melody of "Wild Time" mainly playing at the end of "Everyday"). This in turn creates many ties within the album and its tracks, which I really appreciate and really love.

Speaking of tracks, I love the majority of them as I feel they do a great job at promoting the albums aesthetic and atmosphere. However, a clear favourite of mine would have to be "Movies". With the first segment being an ambient and slow melody that really gives me this oceanic impression, it then transitions into a warm and glorious finale. It definitely just felt like the most immersive and amongst the most beautiful of this albums tracks.

I should also nod to another fabulous track on this record; "Picture Me Better" for leaving a lump in my throat with its absolutely serene melody, heartfelt lyrics and conclusive feel.

That being said, this is definitely one of the most artistic and gorgeous-sounding albums in a very long time. I really wouldn't be lying when I say that this album should totally infect you with the feels. It truly is a masterpiece riddled with emotion, and I love every minute of it.


Thank you for reading.

Booth Boy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Danny Brown, uknowhatimsayin?, Album Review

TOOL, Fear Inoculum, Album Review

Xiu Xiu, Girl with Basket of Fruit, Album Review