The Comet Is Coming, Trust In The Lifeforce Of The Deep Mystery, Album Review


The Comet Is Coming
Trust In The Lifeforce Of The Deep Mystery
Album Review



I personally find that an instrumental album is in many cases, very hard to execute in a way that engages with the listener. But when I stumbled across this newest record from the UK jazz trio that make up The Comet Is Coming, It really excited me and really left we with the impression that this will be an instrumental piece that will actually stand the test of time.

There are a few instrumental records I have enjoyed in the past, but the biggest issue with all of them is that they all became too familiar once I knew what to expect from it. And while this album is still relatively fresh, I definitely get a sense that this will become a very essential album of 2019, and one that will continue to entertain me for a very long time.

With what seems to be a newfound love for jazz starting to become more clear in my musical taste, this album pretty much came at a perfect time. The best way to describe the stylistic nature is that the album cover reflects it incredibly well. I could describe the music found on Trust In The Lifeforce Of The Deep Mystery to be incredibly colourful, wondrous and surreal; listening to the album from start to finish is like wandering through a beautiful dream.

To elaborate further on why I enjoy this album so much, I also feel that for an experimental album to appeal to me, it either needs to be deeply disturbing or beautifully wondrous. And while an album such as Xiu Xiu's Girl With A Basket Of Fruit did a marvellous job with giving me chills, this album excels in the latter, and in a way that seemingly hasn't been done before.

 The album does a very good job at flowing between slow, ambient pieces and vibrant, explosive tunes, and I found myself enjoying both types of track heavily. Some of my favourite tracks include "Birth Of Creation", "Summon The Fire", "Super Zodiac", "Astral Flying", "Timewave Zero" and "Unity". All of which utilised the arsenal of drums, electronic sounds and saxophone to the fullest extents.

The one track I am currently reading as my favourite however has to be "Blood Of The Past" which is the only track on this album to have any words within it. These come as a kind of spoken word piece from the tracks feature Kate Tempest. But the whole track has such a climactic feel and there are just too many great things about this track to mention. Instrumentally, it oddly feels like what a Rage Against The Machine song would sound like if it were a jazz instrumental, and to achieve something like that, in my eyes, makes this song pretty damn unique; even more so than the wide variety of other heavily unique instrumental numbers.

This album was a well-needed means to satisfy my appetite for another out-there album. It really delivered and really appealed to me instantly. I really mean what I said when I mentioned that this album should stand the test of time longer that any other instrumental piece. This album stands as a shining example of how jazz is looking close to being at the forefront of future music.


Thank you for reading

Booth Boy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Danny Brown, uknowhatimsayin?, Album Review

TOOL, Fear Inoculum, Album Review

Xiu Xiu, Girl with Basket of Fruit, Album Review