Foals, Part 1 Everything Not Saved Will Be Lost, Album Review


Foals
Part 1 Everything Not Saved Will Be Lost
Album Review

 

Not only was a new record from Foals one of the most highly anticipated things of mine for 2019, but ever since I listened to their phenomenal previous album "What Went Down" which was released way back in 2015.

Not only were my prayers for a new Foals album answered with the announcement of this album and the release of their single "Exits", but also with the promise of yet another album following it in the later half os this year. That's right folks, we are being promised not one, but two Foals albums in 2019!

Given that the title of this album is the first part of a two-part project, I wasn't expecting any more than 7 tracks or so. However, this latest release provides fans with quite a generous helping with  all things considered. Part 1 Everything Not Saved Will Be Lost has a total of ten tracks if you include its interlude; "Surf, Pt.1" and a runtime of just under 40 minutes.

According to Foals' frontman Yannis Philippakis, Part 1 serves as the segment of this project to contain the tracks that have "a larger emphasis on rhythms and textures" and the band are apparently saving the "heavier tracks" for the second album. Despite this however, I feel that a large number of tracks on Part 1 are at least energetic enough to make for fantastic live tracks while also being a showcase of what is arguably their most creative and artsy set of songs to date.

Every single track on this album either serves its purpose well or is just a complete hit and all in all, I feel that this album flows very nicely. One of the many reasons I adore Foals so much is that they are absolute champions of creating a good atmosphere, and this album certainly isn't any more lacking in that category.

What really got my attention with the style of Part 1 was that I would argue it sounded like the musical lovechild of Holy Fire and their revolutionary debut album Antidotes. I would absolutely agree that the band were at a stage where they could comfortably fit into the idea of copy-pasting the same sort of aesthetic and many people (myself included) would still enjoy it. However, the band have seemed to scrap that and take one step forward and two steps back to create an old album that feels like a love letter to all of their long-term fans, which I find to be an extremely admirable decision from the members of Foals.

Going back to the tracks, I am still struggling to decide which of the newest bunch is my favourite one (which only shows just how great this album is). I know for certain that my favourite of the three teaser tracks has to be "Sunday". Both "Exits and "On The Luna" are incredible songs, but there is something about "Sunday" that shows signs of being quite possibly one of the very best Foals tracks ever. That warm and sunny atmosphere perfectly made me exciting for the approaching summer and I adore the changes in rhythm throughout.

Other tracks I really enjoyed include "White Onions" with its insane drum beats, "In Degrees" with its luminous synth melodies, "Syrups" which feels like it has come straight out of Antidotes and "Cafe D'Athens" which is a quirky and beautiful masterpiece.

I honestly would've regarded Part 1 Everything Not Saved Will Be Lost as one of the best albums of 2019 so far without a doubt. But is the fact that this is only the first hals of what fans will be gifted from Foals this year that really makes the biggest impact. 2019 is really going to be a huge year for Foals and a very memorable year for myself thanks to their music.



Thank you for reading,

Booth Boy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Danny Brown, uknowhatimsayin?, Album Review

TOOL, Fear Inoculum, Album Review

Xiu Xiu, Girl with Basket of Fruit, Album Review