BROCKHAMPTON, iridescence, Album Review


BROCKHAMPTON
iridescence
Album Review



After quite an eventful 2017, the worlds greatest boyband are back at it again with their latest studio album "iridescence". While last year gave us not one, not two but three musical projects from the group titled "Saturation (1-3)" the group seem to be taking a quality over quantity approach with this latest instalment.

It's fair to say that the group had ran into some problems with one of the most notable members Ameer Vann who had quite a lot of involvement with the Saturation projects but had to leave the band due to issues with his private life.

I would be lying if I said that his departure from the band hasn't effected this album's chemistry. In fact, iridescence feels a lot different to last years works. But the way I see it, the change is neither a negative or positive one. Its simply different and I will always be able to appreciate that.

While I'm on the subject of differences, it is very clear that their heightening popularity (which is also one of the primary topics of the album's conception it seems) has allowed them to have a tonne more technical quirks and elements to their disposal, which certainly boosts and in a way renews their uniqueness.

While this album may be the only one of theirs so far this year. The substantial amount of tracks (15 to be exact) will provide listeners with a lot to be getting on with in the meantime.

The first of which "NEW ORLEANS" is a marvellous opening song in my opinion. It has that conventional BROCKHAMPTON charm that can be seen a lot in previous efforts. It's another one of the energy packed bangers we all love to hear from the group. The hook is awesome and really engaging and I love to hear that songs like this are still possible despite the slight shift in the bands style.

This transitions nicely into the next track "THUG LIFE", which I only feel must be a slightly ironic title given the indulgent and warm vibe of the production. It's in fact quite the opposite from a gritty and mean hard-hitter that you would expect to be titled "THUG LIFE". Nevertheless, I absolutely love this song for its blissful atmosphere and captivating melodies.

"BERLIN" is yet another traditional sounding song in terms of composition. While I feel this one to be a little bit more shallow and repetitive that the first track, there are still some parts here and there that I really enjoy.

"SOMETHING ABOUT HIM" takes a more melodic approach than the last three tracks. It's very slow, bright and relaxing in rhythm and melody. However, I do find this equally (if not that more so) lacklustre as the song that came before.

"WHERE THE CASH AT" is wonderfully weird. Almost going into a similar territory as a band like Death Grips, the band utilise all these weird instrumental distortions and sound effects such as what I think are camera shutters and flapping wings. As well as this, the fast-paced and bouncy rhythm really gives the song this weirdly underground energy. It is currently one of my personal favourites from this album.

I also really enjoyed listening to the next track titled "WEIGHT" which almost has this drum 'n' bass rhythm to it. This paired with the borderline orchestral melody really makes for an interesting track in my mind. love this one!

"DISTRICT" sort of switches between another orchestral tune and what I could only describe as amplified noise throughout the rap verses. There's definitely a sense of energy that's there but I just don't think this song really carries through enough uniqueness to really make me love it.

Following this is a sort of interlude titled "LOOPHOLE" which is cleverly placed right in the middle of the album. It records a discussion regarding the rise to fame and how unexpected everything was. It was at this point in the album where I think I realised that a lot of this album revolves around the complication and problems that surround fame.

"TAPE" has a really engaging rhythm and lyrics that really immerse you in to the situation. This also has another orchestral sounding instrumental. However, I feel that this track uses that element the best. At points, this track is absolutely beautiful to listen to.

"J'OUVERT" has already proved to be quite a popular song amongst fans it seems, and it's not hard to see why. This is an extremely hard-hitting banger about the struggles of handling fame. There is a level of hatred that is really carried through well on this track, especially at the point in which bars are literally screamed at the listener. The best word to describe this track is "effective". I should also mention that I really love the sort of mariachi style production that appears halfway through this track.

"HONEY" begins with a bot of a simplistic melody in nature and it was at this point where I wasn't completely sold on this track. However, this track explodes into some kind of funky hip-hop production (complete with Police sirens) and is something that I would expect from the most important Hip-Hop artists of this generation. This track managed to turn my feelings towards it around in an instant and I love that!

Another one of my personal favourites is none other that "VIVID" which at points feels a lot like a Die Antwoord track. I think the thing I love most about this track is just how engaging and catchy it is. I know I have said this about other tracks on this album, but this is the absolute pinnacle of the albums sheer energy in my opinion.

"SAN MARCOS" is a bit of a departure from the energetic rap hits that we're used to hearing from the group, instead going for a far more melodic and anthemic hit. With a range of string instruments and a harmony of "I want more out of life than this". It would make for a perfect festival track I think.

Another fan favourite it seems is "TONYA" with its traditional yet more matured vibe. It does feel like the most heartfelt track and almost has a sort of nostalgic vibe towards the end with its vocal melodies. I just find that it really works and is just a really memorable track from this album.

The album then ends on a bit of a weird note in my opinion with "FABRIC", which I think was trying to go for an equally mellowed down aesthetic as "TONYA", but I just don't find it to be as effective. There are quite a few unique quirks here and there and a complete composition change towards the ends that made me feel like it was more than just one song at first but I still didn't really fall in love with the final track.

Needless to say however, I thoroughly enjoyed listening to this album and am really happy with the positive reception that it has gained as I certainly believe it is deserving.

I'm also really glad that they've focused on just making one album this year as I really feel that their dedication and care towards the album has paid off and I feel that this will only propel the boyband even further forward in their career.


Thank you for reading

BBP

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Danny Brown, uknowhatimsayin?, Album Review

TOOL, Fear Inoculum, Album Review

Lil Nas X, 7 EP, EP Review